With its crisp air and soft winds, autumn brings milder weather than summer. In Nevada, a 100°F temperature in summer can drop to 75°F in early autumn, and can even go down to as low as 31°F just before winter. But while the threats of weather to your roof are less harsh in autumn, it doesn’t mean that you should slack off on roof protection.
Autumn is the perfect season to fix every harm that the scorching summer sun has done to your home’s crowning glory. It is also the best time to bolster your roof in preparation for the upcoming inclement winter weather. The following steps will help you care for your roof in autumn.
Maintaining your roof’s exterior involves fixing both its appearance and its surrounding structures. As a homeowner, you can do these simple roof maintenance tasks that will ensure the preservation of your roof’s exterior:
- Walk around your property and keep an eye out for any roof damage. Check for peeling flashing (especially around your chimney), rust, uneven slopes, missing shingles, or overall degradation. Also, check for granules on the ground, which are a telltale sign of granule loss.
- Prune nearby shrubs and trees. Leaves and twigs from these may fall on your roof and block gutter drainage.
- Drain your sprinkler systems. Failing to do so can result in water freezing in the pipes during wintertime, which can cause the pipes to burst.
Related article: How to assess roof damage without looking at your roof
You might be tempted to climb onto your roof and inspect it more thoroughly, but doing so is never a good idea.
You might be tempted to climb onto your roof and inspect it more thoroughly, but doing so is never a good idea. For tasks that require skill and expertise, call a professional roofing contractor who can:
- Remove debris, leaves, and twigs from gutters and downspouts to prevent drainage blockage and frost damage;
- Inspect your chimney for hidden damage or structural problems, and clean it for maximum efficiency; and
- Repair roof damage or replace damaged roofing materials. For instance, they can caulk drafty windows to ensure that neither water nor wind can get inside.
What’s under your roof is just as important as what’s visible on its exterior, so make sure that your roof and its adjacent structures are maintained at least twice a year. This fall, hire a roofing expert who will:
- Inspect your ceiling, beams, rafters, and other parts of your roof's framework for potential leaks. Finding leaks might be one of the most difficult steps in fixing a leaky roof, as the place where the leak can be seen is often not the actual source of the leak.
- Check your heating system to make sure it functions properly and optimally. Faulty heating systems can consume more electricity but not give off enough heat.
- Completely seal off holes or cracks in your roof.
- Keep your home properly insulated. Too much or too little insulation can damage roof materials and negatively affect indoor air quality. On the other hand, proper ventilation prevents ice dams from forming and saves your roof from severe winter damage.
A lot of roof maintenance in autumn has to do with fixing your property up so that it can weather the harshness of winter. Don’t wait until high winds blow off parts of your roof, or until your gutters fall off because of too much debris.
No matter the season, D&D Roofing and Sheet Metal, Inc., Inc. is here to ensure the best workmanship for your roof. We are Carson City’s best roofing service for the ninth consecutive year! From roof maintenance to roof repair, you’re in the best hands. Get a FREE roof consultation with our experts today.